Thursday, March 5, 2015

Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy aren't real?

Why do parents think it’s ok to lie to their children about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy? They teach them that lying is wrong but they do it themselves. That’s kind of hypocritical, don’t you think?



There’s nothing wrong with telling them about these fictional characters. There’s nothing wrong with taking them to the Santa Claus parade or the Easter parade. Just as long as they walk away knowing that the man in the red suit and the person wearing those big floppy ears aren’t real.

I was 10 when I found out that Santa Claus wasn’t real. One of my classmates and I argued back and forth until they started laughing at me. I went home that afternoon and confronted my Mom about it. That’s when she finally told me the truth. Santa Claus didn’t climb down the chimney on Christmas Eve to deliver presents to me or my siblings. All those presents that were marked “From Santa” were really from my Mom and Dad. I was crushed. For 10 years, my Mom thought it was ok to lie to me.

I never believed in the Easter Bunny. The thought of Easter bunnies laying chocolate eggs seemed ridiculous.

I don’t remember when I stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy. It was definitely before I was ten. Back in the 80’s, we only received 25 cents for losing a tooth. Today, some of my students tell me they receive $5, $10 or even $20!

After the Santa Claus incident, I vowed to never lie to my children about these fictional characters. So what if I’m taking the fun out of their childhood? The last thing I want is to see that look of disappointment on their faces when I tell them that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny aren’t real. I don’t want to see them cry and call me a liar.

If you teach your children not to lie, I suggest you start practicing what you preach. Telling them the truth about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy could save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

Did your parents lead you to believe that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy were real?

Feel free to share this post on your favourite Social Media Networks.


Thanks for reading and keep smiling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment